MathOA is a non-profit foundation based in the Netherlands, a so-called Stichting in compliance with Dutch law. MathOA is formally governed by its board members and the executive editors of participating journals. Stichting MathOA was founded in 2016. Board members decide on strategy and represent the organization formally. The board members are:
- President: Jos Baeten (CWI Amsterdam)
- Secretary: Mark C. Wilson (University of Auckland)
- Treasurer: Lieke Schultze (CWI Amsterdam)
- Matthias Beck (San Francisco State University)
- Benoît Kloeckner (Université Paris-Est – Créteil Val-de-Marne)
- Victor Reiner (University of Minnesota)
Guidance on project direction and admission of new journals is determined by the academic advisory board. Members of this board also help to promote Fair Open Access in the discipline, particularly by using their personal and professional contacts.
- Karen Aardal, TU Delft
- Sylvie Benzoni-Gavage, University de Lyon, Institut Henri Poincare
- Djalil Chafaï, Université Paris-Dauphine
- Henry Cohn, Microsoft Research
- Toby Gee, Imperial College London
- Timothy Gowers, University of Cambridge
- Krystyna Kuperberg, Auburn University
- David Mumford, Brown University
- Andrew Odlyzko, University of Minnesota
Other important contributions to MathOA:
- Project leader: Saskia C.J. de Vries (Sampan – academia & publishing).
- Journal services: Filippo A. E. Nuccio Mortarino Majno di Capriglio, Université de Saint-Étienne
- Strategy: Dmitri Zaitsev, Trinity College Dublin
- Website: Djalil Chafaï.
- Previous board members: Thomas Hales (Advisory) 2016-2018. Johan Rooryck (board, founding member)